Welcome to the St. Alban's Reading Blog!

With you, St. Alban’s clergy will be reading the latest short daily passages from Show Me The Way by Henri J.M. Nouwen, and we will be offering our comments here. You are invited to post your thoughts as well. Please sign your name to any postings you make.

To add a comment, select on the Title of the day. Scroll down to the words "Post a comment". When you have finished adding your comments, please click on the"Comment as" drop down list and select Name/URL then enter your name and leave the URL blank.


Thursday, March 21, 2013

Helping Each Other on the Journey

I don't know about you, but I find myself so very easily distracted these days, just as Nouen describes.  It's easy to fall victim to a kind of helpless despair as we read the papers and see what goes on in this world. It is difficult sometimes to keep an eye on Easter, to know that no matter what happens, all will, somehow be well.  As Palm Sunday and Holy Week approach I think it is ever more important to be aware that we are not on this journey alone.

When I walk into St. Albans's on a Sunday morning I truly feel surrounded by my fellow-travellers - some old timers to this church, some new, all at different stages of their faith journey.  If I feel too weary or distracted to say the prayers, I know there are others there who will be saying them on my behalf. Perhaps nowhere during the service do I feel as close to my fellow parishioners as when I put the communion bread into their hands.  This is such a sacred moment for me, and, I hope, for the ones receiving the bread.  We are connected.  We are in this together.  We listen to the wonderful stories of the Church every Sunday and we break bread together.  There is much to be said about the Church today - and not a lot of it very good.  But at her best, the Church is there for us with solace, story, companionship, and the assurance of the Eucharist.

All food indeed for the journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment